Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Problem Solving Teaches Us Emotional Regulation

 

Problem Solving Teaches Us Emotional Regulation

I am a software engineer, and one thing I have slowly realised about this profession is that problem solving is not merely a technical skill.

It is also an emotional skill.

We often talk about becoming better engineers in terms of writing cleaner code, understanding systems better, debugging faster, or developing stronger problem-solving abilities. But there is another skill hiding underneath all of this:

Can I remain steady when I don't know the answer?

Because software engineering gives you plenty of opportunities to find out.

Give me an ambiguous problem with a deadline, and I can feel that strange discomfort in my gut almost immediately.

I might not know where to begin. There might be ten possible causes and no obvious one to investigate first. The deadline makes the uncertainty feel even heavier.

And then the mind starts talking.

What if I can't solve this?

What if I am missing something obvious?

What if everyone else would have figured this out already?

What does this say about my ability as an engineer?

The problem may be technical, but my reaction to the problem is deeply emotional.

The emotional roller coaster of solving problems

Problem solving rarely happens in a straight line.

Sometimes you are moving along beautifully. You understand the system, your hypotheses are working, the code is behaving as expected, and you feel competent.

And then suddenly something breaks.

An experiment that should have worked doesn't.

A hypothesis turns out to be wrong.

A bug appears somewhere you weren't expecting.

A dependency behaves differently from what you assumed.

Suddenly, the confidence you had ten minutes ago disappears.

The problem hasn't necessarily become harder.

But your emotional relationship with the problem has changed.

You become desperate to find the answer.

You start jumping between possibilities.

You refresh logs repeatedly.

You keep staring at the same piece of code.

You might even sacrifice sleep because somewhere in your mind, stopping feels like admitting defeat.

And then there are other emotions.

If someone starts micromanaging while you are trying to figure something out, irritation appears.

If someone questions your approach, defensiveness can appear.

If you make a mistake, shame or self-doubt can appear.

If the deadline is approaching, fear can appear.

And sometimes the mind takes one small setback and turns it into a catastrophe:

I made a wrong decision.

becomes

I am not good enough.

which becomes

Maybe I am not capable of doing this job.

which somehow becomes

Maybe my entire career is in trouble.

The original problem might have been a failing test.

Now my brain has turned it into an existential crisis.

Perhaps becoming a seasoned engineer means learning to handle this roller coaster

When I think about experienced engineers, I don't think the difference is that they never feel these emotions.

They probably do.

They encounter ambiguity. They get stuck. They make mistakes. They face deadlines. They get questioned. They deal with unexpected failures.

The difference may be that they have learned not to let the emotion dictate the next action.

An ambiguous problem can trigger self-doubt.

But instead of imploding in self-doubt, I can take a breath and say:

I don't know yet. That's okay.

Then I can break the problem down.

What do I actually know?

What have I observed?

What assumptions am I making?

What are the possible explanations?

Which possibilities can I eliminate?

What is the smallest experiment I can run next?

Do I need another person's perspective?

The uncertainty hasn't disappeared.

But I have stopped fighting the feeling of uncertainty and started working with the problem.

That is emotional regulation.

A roadblock is not an emergency

This is perhaps one of the hardest lessons for me.

When I hit a roadblock, my instinct can be to push harder.

I need to solve this now.

So I keep going.

I stay awake longer.

I keep staring at the same problem.

I become increasingly frustrated.

And ironically, the more emotionally exhausted I become, the worse my ability to think becomes.

Sometimes the most productive thing I can do is accept:

I am stuck.

Not:

I am incapable.

Not:

My career is in danger.

Just:

I am stuck on this problem right now.

There is a profound difference.

Once I accept the roadblock, I can step away.

Take a walk.

Sleep.

Work on something else.

Talk to someone.

Come back the next morning with a fresh mind.

The problem may still be there.

But I am no longer fighting it with an exhausted brain.

Problem solving is practice for sitting with difficult emotions

The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether this is one of the hidden gifts of engineering.

Every difficult problem gives us an opportunity to practice sitting with an uncomfortable emotion.

Ambiguity teaches us to sit with uncertainty.

Debugging teaches us to sit with frustration.

Deadlines teach us to sit with pressure.

Mistakes teach us to sit with shame and self-doubt.

Being challenged teaches us to sit with defensiveness.

Being stuck teaches us to sit with helplessness.

And every time we feel these emotions without immediately reacting to them, we build a little more capacity.

We learn that anxiety doesn't mean we have to panic.

Frustration doesn't mean we have to give up.

A mistake doesn't mean we are failures.

Not knowing doesn't mean we are incapable.

Being stuck doesn't mean we will remain stuck.

And a difficult day does not mean we are having a failed career.

The real skill may be staying in the room

Perhaps problem solving isn't just about finding the answer.

It is about developing the capacity to stay in the room while you don't have the answer yet.

To look at a confusing problem without immediately deciding that you are incapable.

To encounter a failed hypothesis without taking it personally.

To receive criticism without letting defensiveness take over.

To hit a roadblock without turning it into a catastrophe.

To take a break without believing that you are giving up.

And then to return and try again.

That, to me, is what becoming a seasoned engineer increasingly means.

Not becoming someone who never feels fear, frustration, insecurity or uncertainty.

But becoming someone who can feel all of those things and still think.

Still observe.

Still reason.

Still ask questions.

Still learn.

Still take the next step.

Maybe the greatest problem-solving skill isn't knowing how to solve every problem.

Maybe it is learning how to remain emotionally steady enough to solve the problem in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment